« Home | Hey, everyone! Publish your crackpot ideas on the ... » | How to get to Sweden » | Good things happen to those who tell dumb jokes » | Terribly Tardy Tactless Tijuana Tripe » | Breadworld » | Variety is... » | Boring, skip to final paragraph » | My hobbies, interests, and accomplishments » | Another disappointing entry » | My First Blog: It's lamer than you're expecting. » 

5 December 2005 

Not about Sweden

I am reading though a lot of old emails. It's more fun than you think, and plus when I am reading old emails I have no time to do my homework! Perfect. I thought you might like to read the email that Nick sent me right before I left for Central America in 2004.
Well, it's Thursday. You are almost off to a third-world country thousands of miles from anywhere you have ever been. Nervous? You are about to try to make it across half of a continent, through the world's largest city and into the heartland of the Zapatistas without speaking the language. Just kidding, it will be great.
It strikes a chord these days, as I am getting ready for my latest foray in the developing world: my first trip to Africa. I feel much more prepared and knowledeable this time around. Well, actually, I felt plenty ready and knowledgeable last time too, I just didn't realize how dumb I was until it was too late. At least two things are certain: I am not going to take a 90-litre pack this time, and I will have more than one t-shirt in my possession.

Why am I going to Africa? To learn something new, broaden my horizons, gain a new perspective, maybe do some research. Actually, mostly because it is important to keep new material coming for the almost-ready website Nick and I are launching. I'd recommend preparing your pocketbooks and quivering in anticipation.

Oh, and I leave you with this excerpt from 'Schmuck and Sack's Famous Last Words':

Anyway, when you get to San Cris at 9:30, I will be there.
P.S. Always use the 24-hour clock when important meetings are afoot.