« Home | Ngorongoro Crater » | Moshi – Arusha – Karatu » | Lushoto – Moshi; Kwalei, Soni » | Mazumbai – Lushoto » | Mazumbai 2 » | Mazumbai 1 » | Dar es Salaam – Mazumbai; Chalinze » | Stockholm – London, onward » | Tanzania Series: Background » | The cheeses I tried yesterday » 

3 February 2006 

Karatu – Mto wa Mbu; Lake Manyara

I had counted myself among the healthy until a bite of bread at breakfast brought on a wave of nausea. The morning seemed freezing cold despite the sun and balmy weather; I sat on the ground in the sun waiting for the cars to depart, wearing my fleece but shivering uncontrollably. My mind went back to the roach-infested food case… The backtrack to Mto wa Mbu was like a delusional swim and it tore away my last bit of health. The course abandoned me at our hotel, presumably moving on to Lake Manyara National Park. I spent the day alternately freezing and broiling under my mosquito net and rushing to the squat toilet every fifteen minutes. The diarrhoea was punctuated by an hourly vomit and the night brought no relief.

Why so much science? What is this?