« Home | San Isidro » | Fiesta! » | Right into it » | Introduction to the Philippines » | Hey, Syncrude! Take the one-tonne challenge! » | Springtime in Uppsala; Hello test » | Who's not from Barcelona? » | These times we call our own » | Hockey and Religion » | When I'm 64 » 

17 June 2006 

The Creature from the Deep!

I can breathe underwater! Today we went out to Panglao, a beach on the other side of our island. Iria and I started our PADI Open Water certification. After a bit of lecture and a few drills, I kicked off my underwater life with a 30-minute dive down to about 12 metres! What a feeling. We dove off a coral-covered wall, and though the fishes and corals were nothing new, seeing them on their own terms certainly was! We'll go back and continue the course next weekend. Our instructor is going to let us join a full-day dive trip to some outer islands as the last day of our course; a good guy, eh? I am really looking forward to that. More to come.